Driving a 1954 Austin-Healey 100/4 from Peking to Paris in the June 2019 ERA Rally.

Tuesday 20 August 2019

0126 Many photos and more blog

21 August 2019
Giles plays catch-up !!

Finding Gidget in Beijing
It has now been well over a month since Ashton and I arrived in Paris, and I have posted nothing !  But I kind of have an excuse - Exhaustion !   I have to admit that for the first two weeks after we arrived in Paris, I slept most of the time, and when I wasn't sleeping, I was lazing around.  I then spent the following two weeks in a kind of zombie-like state, not too keen to do anything.  I have never felt so "detached" from life before, and whether it was age related or just being plain travel weary, I don't know.  Having spent the time since Paris with family and friends in the UK, we just arrived back in Australia 3 days ago, and I am just now starting to feel "normal" for the first time in a while.
From a blog posting point of view, I only took an iPad mini on the P2P, and I found that extensive
Start at Great Wall
writing on that is almost impossible - I need a proper keyboard.  Additionally, I used a new Olympus camera on the P2P, and for the first 3-4 weeks it worked really well.  However, after that, the lens seems to have got scratched and I had to revert to using my iPhone for pics, which is not so easy, especially since I was also using it for maps and directions (which were rather more important !)  Finally, and much to my surprise, the P2P event was so full on that after only a few days, I was never in the mood to write a blog - If we weren't sleeping or eating, we were in the car and there was literally no will power left at the end of the day to start scribbling.  As a result of all that, there has been silence from my side !

As for the photos, I have hundreds - Mine was more a photographic blog, with less content of results or other vehicles, but more focus on the places and scenery we were travelling through.   However not only do I have camera photos, but I also have iPhone photos, as well as photos acquired from others on the event, and since iPads do not seem to have a "sort by date" function (that I can find), especially for photos from different sources,  I have just spent the past 3 days trying on my lap top to get the pics all sorted to a stage where they are approximately in order.
Arriving in Place Vendome
Ashton has been posting his daily account, so I have left 5 spots for his last 5 days, and will start afresh here, mostly so that everything from the even is on one blog in order to make it easier to refer to. I will do my best not to repeat (or contradict !!) anything he has written !

I will divide the event up into countries rather than days , in order to keep it (slightly) briefer.   My aim is to get all the photos up both in the blog and linked to Google photos so everyone can se them all, and download them if and as they wish.  So here we go.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ashton & Giles welcome any visitors, support, and comments as we prepare for our Adventure !