14th April 2018
|Pax door in place|
|The troublesome latch|
|Fan fouls crank balancer|
|Driver's door also a problem|
I then moved on to the driver's door, but ran into the same problem that Andrew had encountered on the pax door - Easy to get it to latch on the first click, but seemingly impossible to get it to latch fully. I think we are going to need some help on this.
|Rear mud flap with chain|
|Renovating the Healey badge|
The "Austin Healey" badge that mounts on the nose of the front shroud has suffered over the years, and some of the enamelled letters have broken out, just leaving the silver base. Since a replacement badge is over UK £50, I decided to try to restore it just a little myself. The colours may not be quite the same, but since due to its location the badge is always going to be susceptible to stone chips, I don't see any point in having a nice concours standard badge out there.
|Fan now clears balancer|
Last task of the day was to trim the 5 blade fan, and after marking everything out so each blade matched, I started careful work with the Stanley knife. I was very aware that maintaining the fan's balance is vital, but there is no other way of doing this except with a sharp blade. Eventually done to my satisfaction, the end of each blade was sanded to make it smooth and areodynamic while I watched the Commonwealth Games on TV !
|Radiator hoses all in place|
in order to increase the space between the fan and the radiator core. As a result the two hoses required were far from standard, and in addition I was inserting a filter that Ashton had obtained from down south, so in order to purchase some suitable hoses, and armed with some bent coat hanger wire in roughly the shape of the hoses I needed, I had gone down to Global Auto Spares and asked if I could inspect all their stock of hoses. They let me loose in their warehouse where they had literally hundreds of different hoses piled up, most of them quite dusty, and for the next 2 or
|Top & bottom hoses fitted up|
|8 cms of clearance in front of fan|
And out of interest, with everything in place, we now have 8 cm clearance between the fan blade and the radiator core, compared to about 1.5 cms when we started ! So, mission accomplished in that regard. And to finish everything off in readiness for Steve to run the engine again for a longer period, I fitted the new itg air filter - Only to find I then had to trim some metal off the edge of one of the front shroud mounting plates in order to fit around the filter !
|Panels trial fitted|
Before shutting it down for the night, I decided to put the front shround in place, and added the bonnet as well as the LH side front wing, just to start to get a feel for the complete car. Looking good ! Even the front badge looked really good, making it all look much more finished.
The next evening, Steve came over after work, and although it was now getting dark, we prepared to fire up the engine. We just put straight water in the radiator for now, checked everything was tight, and fired her up. Once again, (but with the battery fully charged this time !), with just a little choke from my hand, she fired up almost immediately, and quickly dropped into a smooth idle. It was too
|Sweet music !|
Overall, a successful run on the engine, and after checking out 1st and 2nd gear in the driveway in the darkness, Steve reversed Gidget back into the garage - So at last she moved under her own power !
|Loading Gidget on the truck|
|Gidget at JH Classic Restorations|
|Steel mesh for radiator|
Hopefully we will shortly have a complete car ready for testing !
More photos are here :- https://photos.app.goo.gl/5vvZsS2ZteMa8DSH2