Its been a long time coming, but we finally get there !
|Steve working on the engine|
Work on the many small items on the car has been so slow that I haven't had a lot to take photos of or to blog about, and was originally going to include the engine start up in that last post. But then I realised that this is such a momentous occasion in both Gidget's rebuild and also our overall preparation for the Peking to Paris that it really should have its own space - So here it is ! And true to form, if you think the start was just a matter of turning the key, then think again - As usual with Gidget, it involved drama after drama !
|Franz & Hildergarde's Troopie|
|Their world route|
had met them in Canada 2 years ago, and they are currently driving their big German Troopie camper round Australia. It makes my almost standard size Troopie look small and light (theirs is much heavier even than my Troopie's somewhat lardy 3.4 MT !) - But they aren't able to buy a V8 engine in Germany !
|4 bolt holes of alternator mount|
|Steve fitting re-coil while I vaccuum|
Once Steve came over in the morning, I bought a 3/8" UNF re-coil kit, and we set to work. First we had to make sure that no metal filings from the drilling went down into the water jacket. so we amended our home vaccum cleaner by fitting a small pipe in the suction, and, after removing the blanking plate from the water gallery, inserted the pipe through the water gallery and right under the hole we were about to drill, and turned the vaccuum on full speed to suck out all the filings. When we inserted the re-coil, we decided not to break off the installation pin in case it fell into the engine, but fitted a slightly shorter bolt to suit.
|Andrew fitting accelerator pedal|
|Boot light working|
engine bay light later), as well as the voltmeter, and we then prepared to fire up the engine. First of all we flipped the switch for Fuel Pump #1, and it started clicking as it built up pressure - But it didn't slow down and the smell of petrol was strong and we quickly shut down the emergency cut off when we noticed fuel spilling out of one of the lines in the boot - In all the repeated fitting and unfitting of everything, one of the unions had been left loose. Once tightened, we switched everything on again, and this time the clicking slowed as fuel pressure eventually built up in the lines. But then we noticed that there was fuel flowing down one of the carb overflow lines onto the floor - A needle in the front carb was stuck. So the carbs were dismantled and adjusted, and this time everything was sealed tight - No leaks anywhere when we turned the pump on again.
|All switches include lights when on|
Meanwhile I was putting oil in the engine. I had put 5.5 litres
in some time ago in order to check for leaks, with 6.7 litres the original Healey volume. I expected about 7.5 litres in total due to the change in sump design, and we ended up at 8 litres which was still just below the min mark on the dipstick. So it will be about 9 litres in total, including filling the il filter etc for the first time. So we have increased the oil volume by about 2 litres.
|Whoops - A flat battery !|
|Gidget runs !|
So with the engine now running, Steve had to take off to do some other chores at home (he is on holiday at the moment !), but he left me to install the radiator and fan etc so we can run the engine for longer later in the week.
Note - After recharging the battery fully overnight, it turned the engine over with no problem !
Rest of the pics are here :- https://photos.app.goo.gl/2nNXpMazRtBn6Dny1