Nothing else wants to fit either !
|Fitting rubber seal around boot|
|Boot latched closed|
|Boot handle in open position|
|Finally the boot opens !|
|Front lights being installed|
I then removed the front shroud yet again, and set to work underneath the dashboard. I need to document all of the new wiring in case of issues, but first I wanted to check that all the instrument lighting was working properly. While we had seen most lights working a week ago, I had noticed later that a couple of instruments were dark - It turned out that two light fixtures were missing ! I eventually found these in boxes, wired them into the loom, and hey presto, we have light in all gauges, including the new oil temp guage. I also checked out the new bulbs purchased as spares, to make sure they fitted and worked - And a good job I did because they are slightly tighter than the original bulbs, and took a bit of fettling to get them to screw into place.
|Rear view mirror screw holes|
|Working out the rear bumper stay|
|All the fasteners on a friend's car|
|Putting oil in the engine|
I also took the original brake cylinders down to Wayne at Better Brakes and asked them to clean them up. One of these had been seized and rusty, so we had ordered new items and intended to keep these as spares. However, since we ran into sizing problems with the new units, we decided to try to get the original units refurbished either to use, or to keep as spares. They have cleaned up really well and are fit for use.
|Spring clips used on badges|
Had to go up to Brisbane so on the way back dropped in for a chat with Peter Janetzki at JH Classic Restorations in Yatala. Having rejuvenated the central "layer" of Gidget, we still need to install a roll bar to protect us on the top side, and also a skid plate to protect us from underneath, and since Classic Car Clinic has changed its business model in regard to restorations, we wanted to see if Peter would be able to help us. We studied the underneath of a Healey that was up on their hoist and came up with a rough plan, but need to get Gidget's roof fitted first as we want the roll bar to fit under it. So as soon as we can get everything fitted, we will go back to Peter.
|Boot rack in place|
|Tire on boot rack|
|LH bonnet strap holes good|
|RH bonnet strap holes not good !|
went to put the leather bonnet strap in place on the shroud as it would be easier to fit backing plates on the inside of the shroud while it is off the car. I put one end in place, but when I moved to the other end found the holes had been drilled the wrong way round ! Luckily the old holes aren't visible once covered with the bracket and backing plate are in place, so no problem - Other than once again a simple 5 minute job turned into a couple of hours of work !
Overall, lots of small boring tasks completed, but just about ready to fire up the engine !
Rest of the pics are here :- https://photos.app.goo.gl/WHd0ezEgt4o6gVfu1