The panels come back painted and we start putting Gidget back together
|Battery & storage boxes|
|Open storage boxes|
box which will fit behind the passenger cell down in the void near the rear axle. This whole area is where there were originally two 6 V batteries, but with the car converted to a single 12 v system, this is valuable space that we need to take advantage of. It is low down, and in front of the rear axle, so is really valuable. Thus the storage box we have had made to fit there. The only trouble is it is pretty tight in there, and drilling holes in the battery bearers (not the chassis) was difficult and then trying to get bolts in and tightened up with only one pair of hands turned out to be impossible. So everything is ready and I am waiting on someone to come and help me !!
|Panels all painted|
|The panels look really good !|
And are the panels good ? They are FANTASTIC. Yes, there are still some places where my panel beating and bog application could have been better, but overall they are much better than I had either hoped or expected. So now the pressure is on to make sure I don't scratch them up while fitting them !
|Bracelets to help with fuel costs !|
|Writing on bracelets|
$10.00 will buy us 5 litres, and this will carry us some 35 kms. The total distance of the rally will be approximately 14,000 kms, (not including any wrong turns, U turns, or getting lost !!), which means
we will need some 1,960 litres of fuel. We will therefore be selling our bracelets for $10 per piece, and each person who joins our team by buying a bracelet, will enable us to travel an additional 35 kms. So over the coming months, we ask you all to join our team and help us to complete the Peking to Paris, 35 kms at a time. We will endeavour to create a map on here which will show our progress across our route, bracelet by bracelet so you can see how we are doing !
|Not Gidget, but similar !!|
|Bonnet & front shroud|
up even better than the other panels, with the bonnet itself being almost perfect (IMHO), especially since it had been such a painstaking task to pick out all the old paint that had been lodged in between the braces and the louvres in the bonnet itself. I just hope we can get the whole car back together without too much trouble.
|Blue tack on water pump housing|
|Finished dash board on car|
I had purchased some pinch-fit edging and quality velcro, and fitted them both to the new dashboard panel - The edging to ensure that there were no sharp edges in the car. With the panel fitted up and bolted in place, it came up really well and should provide a stable mount for all our instruments and gauges. The sparate small bracket housing the voltmeter and switch was bolted up to the side of the electrical panel and ready for service.
|Trial fit of rear shroud & boot lid|
|Getting carbs all hooked up|
We have fitted extensive heat shrouds between the exhaust manifold and the carbs and fuel lines, and indeed they had some similar shrouds in place previously. However as soon as I started
|Carb brace fitting through heat shield|
The first and straighter bracket turned out to be relatively straightforward - Until I realised that
|Panels stored on verge to give space inside|
|Finally get a fan belt on the pulleys|
|Relays & fuses as we test electrics|
|STP for steering box|
Steve left me some jobs to do on the carbs and pulley, and will return next week to hopefully fire everything up. Andrew started work on the accelerator pedal and then took it to finish it off. He also gave me some hints for fitting the rear shroud and wings - and reminded me to remove the little strengthening bracket I had fitted when bogging or nothing would fit ! I also purchased some STP Oil Treatment, which is very thick and is what is used in the steering box. Some had leaked out while the steering column and box was sitting around the warehouse, so I need to make sure it is full and ready to go.
|Bolt holes need help to line up|
|LR wing all bolted up with piping|
|Spanner strapped in place on end of bolt|
|Back side of protection|
|Rear guard with mud flap|
with the rear mud flaps. I designed these from scratch, taking into consideration the clearances around the big off road tyres, and the large void that exists behind the wheels - Trying to work out the best way to stop mud and stones filling that big rear arch !! It all seemed to work out well, but of course their effectiveness and durability will only be confirmed once we get Gidget out onto the dirt roads !
|Rear brake return spring|
Before Steve comes back next week I will be continuing with fitting the rear panels, doors and trim, and once Andrew brings back the floor panels and accelerator, we can finish all the interior. The front shroud and wings will wait until the alternator brackets are completed, the radiator refitted and connected up, and the distributor fitted, so we can fire up the engine. It is SO much easier to do all this before the front shroud is fitted.
Getting close !!!
Rest of the photos are here :- https://photos.app.goo.gl/2f7mTbi047m2SdyW2