A week spent working on the body panels......
|Scraping and stripping|
|Thick bog on rear wing|
|Distributor being set up|
On a visit to CCC to pick up some bits and pieces, Mark had one of our
rebuilt distributors on the Ignition Advance machine, setting up the spring pressures and rates of advance. Interesting to see this detailed and important work being done.
|Upper section of rear shroud|
|"Corrosion" on rear shroud|
all sorts of things to remove it - Turps, thinnners, methylated spirit - Nothing moved it. It ended up that all that seemed to remove it was fine sand paper, but even then it took a lot of rubbing to get it to move. Eventually we got it all removed and cleaned the area up. Being alloy there is no rust to form in the humid Queensland air, so it does not need to be primed at this stage.
|Our oil selection|
|Fire extinguishers mounted|
I also purchased 2 x 1 kg fire extinguishers which are required by the rally regulations, and, having removed the switch box from the gearbox shroud and built brackets that would hold the extinguishers stable over the bumpiest of roads, mounted them on the top where they were reachable by both Ashton or myself even when strapped in with our harnesses, and yet were simultaneously not in the way of any other driving or navigational function.
|Working on a rear wing|
|Mystery dents in rear wing|
|Rear shroud after stripping|
|Rear shroud taking shape|
First I roughly added a layer of bog, trying my best to get some kind of curvature like the original panel. To do this took multiple mixes of bog, and sometimes you use slightly too much hardner and the bog goes off before you have half of it applied, while at other times you don't add quite enough and find yourself waiting for ages for it to harden before you can start to shape the material. Hopefully I will get it right before too long as it is very frustrating.
|Rear shroud smoothed|
|Broken wood in driver's door|
First of all, inside was a broken strip of wood. 1954 was before the time of Side Intrusion Bars, so it
|New wood strip in place|
Anyway, after a visit to Bunnings to buy a length of wood, and then planing it down because modern metric sized wood is bigger than original imperial wood, I realised I couldn't get the wood in in one piece without removing the entire metal support frame. So instead I cut the wood in half at an angle, then inserted each end and when it was all in place, glued the join and wood screwed everything in place. Job sorted.
|Trying to save the block of wood|
|What to do with the dash ?|
|A place for all the instruments !|
|Vertical strip for another guage|
being a sheet of alloy bolted to the existing small dash, and extending it all the way across, and the other a vertical piece of angle bracket bolted to the side of the new switch box. Additionally we have a new oil temp guage to fit, and the dashoard extension will also provide a location to fit this guage, so I am proceeding with making these up.
|Driver's door all stripped|
|Crack in rear sill|
|Temporary bracket fitted|
be a problem, so I just needed a temporary bracket to hold it firm while I worked on it. A small suitable bracket was made up and bolted in place, and then I ground out the cracked bog so I could apply fresh material, and was then able to continue working on the panel without a problem.
|Corrosion on driver's door|
I then got the POR 15 out again. The inside of the front and rear shrouds
|Driver's door POR 15'd|
|POR15 on inside of wings|
Rest of the pics are here :- https://photos.app.goo.gl/l5PSBfaXC4QQg6A53