At last ready to paint all the body panels !
|The door at the bginning|
|Same door at the end|
|The rear shroud almost finished|
|Bogging & sanding a door|
|Storage & battery box mock ups|
|Battery fitted into battery box|
|Test fitting battery box near rear axle|
The battery will have dense rubber cushioning underneath and on the sides to ensure it is well protected from the bumps, and the lid will make it virtually waterproof. The cables will pass through rubber grommets in order to seal the holes, and with the battery being a tight fit in the box, we will have a small strap (which I found on my shelves) around it permanently so it is easy to lift in and out.
|Rear hatch cover in place|
|Rear hatch cover sliding into place|
He also took the jack. If you remember, instead of the original big and heavy scissor jack we have taken a Mercedes wind up jack and Andrew had welded tubing into the chassis on each side for the jack to slot in to. However, when we finally had the car on its wheels and could test the jack, we found that it was only operating in the top half of its 18 inch movement range, because the tube socket on the car was higher than it would be on a Mercedes. (Maybe because we now have such great ground clearance !!) This meant that while on a good hard surface the jack works well and raises the car high enough for both wheels to be well clear of the ground, in any rough condition, or if we were bogged and needed to raise the car higher, we might have a problem. So we have decided on a simple and quick fix - we will insert 7 inches into the lower end of the shaft, which means we will then have the full 18 inches of lift available if we need it. We have also decided to fasten a small stabiliser strip across the bottom of the jack front-to-rear, to minimise the chance of the car rolling off the jack. So Alan took the jack with him and will come back in a couple of days with his work - By which time I will probably have found a few more little jobs for him to do !
|Exposed wiring on floor inside cabin|
|Cables inside conduit|
|Possible rubber floor matting|
|Oil & water temp gauges|
|Working on the driver's door|
|Bagging the top of the door|
|Panels ready for the painter|
|Gold Coast Paint & Panel|
|Panels hung up for painting|
Next morning Steve came over and we delivered the front and rear shrouds, and I picked up the paint and delivered it to Darren, and left him to it. Lots to do in the meantime.......
It was SO good to have a bit of room to move in the garage, and to not be creating any more dust from sanding bog ! I spent the next 2 hours sweeping and mopping out the garage and trying to get the worst of the dust off everything - And then got on with the car. Alan had come back with the jack, but now it was a little bit too long, so we agreed to take a couple of inches out of it to make it more flexible. He also brought back the rear lid over the diff, with the new tabs on, so I set to cutting the slots in the panel behind the seats - And realised I had made a major misjudgement - I had forgotten that instead of just a thin metal panel there, underneath it was the 1" square reinforcing tube that Andrew had inserted to support the additional weight of the new spare wheel sitting up on top of that panel !! Whoops ! As a result, what I had expected to be a quick 5 minute dremel job took several hours as I tried to also cut the slot into the reinforcing tube as well ! All done eventually, not without a few issues, and I also ended up drilling a hole and inserting a bolt to tie everything together and maintain its strength. With a little bit of judicious bending of the tabs, the lid fitted perfectly, and after inserting some heat / sound insulation inside, and covering the outside with the same black marine carpet I am using elsewhere, it all looked great. Will use 2 toggle clips to lock it down in place.
|Pulleys not lining up|
|Flange inside pulley|
For the next 3 days I have enjoyed not having to work on the body panels, and slowly worked through a seemingly endless list of small but important items that needed attention.
|Mock up of added dash panel|
|Gauges mounted on panel|
|Brackets after priming|
I then fitted the new oil temp guage to the dash in a separate mount, attaching it under the dashboard.
|Temp gauge wires passing through firewall|
|Sewing up wiring heat sleeve|
|Bracket on side of electircs box|
|Cutting holes for gauge and switch|
|Switch and voltmeter|
|Engine & Chassis details plaque|
There are lots more small jobs to be done, and I am taking the opportunity to work my way through them all slowly while the body panels are being painted, because once they come back, I will be busy putting them back on, and many of these activities will be much harder to do once the panels are all back on. So plenty to keep me busy as we move rapidly towards getting Gidget back on the road at last !
Rest of the pics are here :- https://photos.app.goo.gl/b28ZWRE21oVpQDns2