Grease and grime everywhere !
|Mock up suspension for damper mounts|
|POR15 in place at the front|
Following last week's degreasing and cleaning of the chassis, I also put a coat of POR15 anywhere that didn't get in the way of Andrew and his welding, which made the front section look much more "ready" (Hey, we need to at least feel we are making progress !) Then it was back home to the cleaning work !
Janet's car has been relegated to the driveway while I am making
|Work bench in garage|
King pins and stub axles that I am not sure have ever been off the car. The grease does not look fresh, or even from this century, while the dirt is just caked on there and needs a wire wheel to remove.
|Non existant rubber bushes|
The rubber bushes, without exception, just crumble. There was no way they were providing any stability or support. Some cork washers just come out in pieces. And where there were steel central tubes in the bushes, these have just rusted solid onto the bolts. Lots of soaking in releasing agents is seeing most parts separate eventually.
|Seized brake cylinder|
|Gear box in Troopy|
On 21st Sept I went over to Nerang Differential and picked up our refurbished gearbox from Alistair. It had been slipping out of 5th when Ashton drove it, and Al had pinpointed the problem, put in replacement parts and seals, so it should now be ready for the P2P. I loaded it into the back or Troopy, along with the roll of heat shielding, and set off to see Greg at Red Devil radiators.
|Radiator on front seat|
Greg had our new radiator in "mock up" mode - ie everying on and
|And parts in the footwell|
|New radiator in place|
|New floor panel and cross support|
|Cross brace for floor|
|Gusset support on front suspension|
Andrew also started welding in support gussets for the front suspension - All similar to those done for the competition Healeys in the 1960's. One issue is that the original welds were left with a lot of slag on there, and this apprently makes it really difficult to MIG weld now. So he is going to try to come in on the weekend and mini sandblast the areas around the old welds to clean them up a bit more and hopefully resolve the problem.
|New front damper mounts|
|Larger MGB damper|
|Seat in place|
|Setting up seat heights|
|Dirty spring section|
|Clean spring section|
section in the stub axle that acts as a dust cover over the king pin. Well, it certainly keeps the dirt out - Whch then collects on the outside ! The spring itselve had so much dirt between every coil that it took me half an hour with a small scredriver just scraping out the dirt between each coil so I could then compress the spring and get the unit out and start cleaning it. Unbelievable.
Now everything is ready for painting, and I can start putting more pieces back together ! I am just hoping I can remember where they all go and how they fit together !!
Rest of the pics are here :- https://photos.app.goo.gl/bOKiRdnFaj9rzrn33