We continue learning as we go.
|Rear wheel fitted up for size|
|Side exhaust taking shape|
|Refurbished side lights|
You saw some of the interim photos of the side lights being de-rusted and painted earlier - This week saw them completed, with the spring conact pins being cleaned and unseized so the are in full working condition, and then tested to make sure they are working on the battery. These are bulbs with one pin lower than the other, which can be so difficult to get in or out when they are tight, especially in the night in the Gobi desert. So all lights are marked to ensure the bulb can be easily and quickly replaced.
|Copper fuel pipe all cleaned up|
|Air filters all bright and shiny|
|SU Fuel pump|
|New fuel filter|
whereas Facet pumps need adjusting as you climb. So we will be using 2 SU pumps mounted and plumbed in side by side, that can be used individually in case one gets blocked or fails in any way. Between the fuel tank and the pumps we will mount a fuel filter and water separator that has a clear bowl that is drainable should any water be evident. In addition the filters can be changed as required.
So, to familiarize myself with the SU fuel pump that I have never seen before, I cleaned up and dismantled the original unit in order to find out how it worked - Again so I can be in a better position to work on it during the P2P should there be a problem. And what I found was surprising. On removing the top, the small diode in the top was completely melted. Aditionally, the electronic points which are the key to this unit were SO pitted and corroded, I am not sure how it ran. Going through the gaskets and pump diaphragm, these were so brittle and damaged, I do not know how they ever worked either. Finally, as I cleaned it up and painted the outside of the unit, I found a small tag with the part number on - And when I checked this part number, it said that this was a positive earth pump. Hmm - Gidget is negative earth !! As a footnote to this, I found out from the SU people in Sydney that this pump is indeed a positive earth, (the car was originally positive earth) and it was able to work on an a negative earth car because it had points. But the diode had subsequently melted due to this incorrect polarity, and was very close to catching fire - Which would not have been good in a petrol fuel pump ! Anyway, we now have 2 new negative earth pumps coming from the UK !! But at least I have a good idea of how they work.
|Rear wheel in place|
Next time I went in to Classic Car Clinic, they had our one wheel and tyre "mounted" in the rear wheel arch - Checking for clearance. We do not have an axle in there at the moment, so it was just supported on a jack, with a pipe laid across the rear chassis in an approximation of where the axle would be. The wheel certainly fills the arch !! It will be a close run thing as to whether we need to do some "metalwork" around the arch once the axle was in, but so far it looks pretty good.
|Exhaust exit behind the door|
|Wrong size panels supplied|
However, on offering them up this week, it turns out they are about 1 inch short ! We tried them on the other (more modern) later white Healey 3000 that is also in the workshops, and they fitted perfectly. It seems we were sent the worng panels. So Andrew is making up a new panel himself and we will use that - He has just started shaping it to fit.
In the meantime I had the chance to finish covering the small fron parcel
tray that fits under the dash. It is covered in thin foam, and then has black leatherette covering that, so it has a nice soft feel. I did several panels in my
|Finished parcel shelf|
Then I moved on to the springs. I detailed their dimantling previously, and once I had them cleaned up, I took just the long upper leafs down to Kings Springs for them to run their experienced eyes over. The verdict was good - One is slightly better than the other, but both are perfectly suitble to take as spares. We will mount these front and rear as bumpers, and just take them off if we need them. Apparently it is always the long upper leaf that breaks, so if this
|Springs old and new|
|Spring clips being cleaned up|
same shape - Or near enough. So I have cleaned up a couple of the clips that hold the leafs together, and we will use those if we need to.
|Wire brushes wear out !|
|Windscreen bolts & Engine Info|
|New rear gearbox mount|
Our gearbox is a W50 Toyota Celica 5 speed, and the rear mount for this is all perished and cracked. A little time on the internet soon found a replacement at a good price, and that also arrived this week, and will be installed when we take the engine and gearbox out in the next week or so.
|Some electrical tips from friends|
While driving around the Gold Coast, I passed a Dyno workshop where I used to get my Lotus tuned a few years ago. So I dropped in to have a chat with Matty Spry, the owner, and tell him about our new adventure with the Healey. He gave me lots of ideas about wiring and relays and the best tools and clips to use - I continue to learn so much every day !! Good to catch up with Matty again, and he is keen to see Gidget when she is on the road again.
|Where the air filter will fit|
|Air ducting to be added|
|Untouched original paint|
|L shaped engine mount|
Stay tuned for the next episode on the refurbsihing of Gidget !!
More photos here :- https://goo.gl/photos/Xz3YUNzUxgrDFZUP6