Starting to look for important things !
While I was busy at home cleaning up and refurbishing a lot of the parts I had taken off the car before she went in to Classic Car Clinic for her major surgery, I was also starting to think of some of the important things we will need later on. If I can at least find out where I can source some of these items, then when the time comes and we need them, I won't have to waste time running around looking for them, but will be able to go straight to the supplier and pick them up.
First off was this month's edition of the Australian Austin Healey magazine that had arrived on my
|Our adventure in print|
I then paid a visit to CCC to check on the clearance around our front dampers - We are doing some work on these to hopefully improve their efficiency, (of which more later) and I needed to check how the front dampers were positioned in relation to the steering column. As I had already taken our dampers off the car and delivered them to WW Shock Absorbers in Brisbane for refurbishing, I had to examine the white car in CCC instead. And we have a potential problem at the front - The steering
|Steering column fouls front damper|
While I was at CCC, I popped in on Andrew and found that he had the new side exhaust all in place,
|Side exhaust taking shape|
|Trial fitting of new seats|
On going into the main service workshop at CCC, I found one of my favourite cars - An XK150 in my favourite gunmetal colour, and it was absolutely immaculate - A truly gorgeous car. No wonder the guys in here enjoy their jobs, working on cars like these every day !
|Starting our map collection|
Then it was down the road to my favourite map shop at Harbour Town - Coast Maps and Charts. These guys have a great selection of maps, and I have bought all of mine for my previous trips from them. On this occasion they are going to have to get some maps in though - They have a good one of W China and Mongolia, and then another one of Eastern Europe from Moscow west, but they have nothing in between Ulaan Baatar and Moscow !! So they are going to have to source something for us.
|Land Rover air filter too big !|
or in an S1 Land Rover, as we felt this would provide us with much cleaner air to the engine in the very dusty conditions we anticipate. Being a Land Rover man, Ashton already had an air filter to hand, and I brought it up when I came back from Sydney last week. However when I went to see if it would fit in the Healey, it didn't even get close ! There is just so little room in there. So it may be a case of using an oiled K&N filter feeding into an airbox, and we will just have to be prepared to clean and re-oil the filter every day. We will keep exploring the options for this one.
|Rear axle of white Healey|
|Our LHD tonneau|
We also found that our perfectly good tonneau cover ------is for a Left Hand Drive car !!! Hopefully our uphostery man will be able to change it to RHD without too much difficulty. And the side exhaust continues to make progress - it is now sleeved through a second pipe, and getting closer to completion.
|Fuel filter & water trap|
|Small grease gun|
|Map reading lights|
|Heat sink panels|
|Broken SU fuel pump|
We continue to get multiple opinions on every subject - This week it was back to wheels where,
|Wire wheels with less than 72 spokes|
|Spotlights all cleaned up and ready|
|Fuel filter cleaned up|
guards and / or protective film to these and all lights so they don't get broken by rocks thrown up by other cars. I also found a dirty old in line filter in the fuel lines, and managed to clean that up - We don't plan to use it, but might be able to tuck it in somewhere just in case.
|Cracks in steering wheel|
The original style steering wheel also needs replacing with a new MotoLita unit as it has cracks on
the plastic and wouldn't last very long. We also need to fit a new stator tube down the column so we can re-fit the horn and indicator wiring - It appears that on the last rebuild these items were omitted.
|Bakelite plug on headlight|
|Side lights all clean|
condition, with the bulbs corroded in the fittings, and overall rather sad. It took a while, but I got all the bulbs out, got all the spring loaded pins working and shiny, and de-rusted the bodies and painted them in heat resistant aluminium. They look really smart now, and ready for another 50 years or so !!
|Current alternator (pun intended !)|
|Side exhaust getting enclosed|
size to fit over the exhaust, and the frame for the grill work that will cover the muffler and allow cooling was in place and looking good. I am discussing with Mal Kelson from the Lotus Club the option of machining a new section for the rear dampers in order to increase their internal oil volume (and this improve their cooling), and we looked at the car close up to start to formulate some ideas on this.
|Brackets holding spring|
|New spring below, old one on top - Different !|
|The impossible suspension bolt !|
|Parcel shelf in black paint|
|Parcel shelf with foam cushioning|
|Parcel shelf and leatherette cover|
We are making good progress......!!!
Remainder of the photos are here :- https://goo.gl/photos/A7rXGA6umycY76gY9
and here :- https://goo.gl/photos/NURsBWJusU7sj2VE6