Lots of things to do
|Exhaust looks OK......|
|And the mount seems fine|
in around the mounts !!) The mounts used are Austin Healey Sprite exhaust mounts and are a hard rubber bushing sandwiched between two metal attachment plates, and are mounted in compression, not
|But the mount was broken|
But first I had to call into the upholstery shop to check on the repair to the split canvas seat cover. They are inserting a strengthening panel in the top to spread the load when we slide down into the seat, pulling the back of the seat cover with us. They had made a rough sample, and I took this home to try. After that it was off to Marine Control Systems to search for a less acute angle throttle cable tube - The current one is 90
|New accelerator mount|
|Muffler all welded up|
also to weld up a crack in one of the underfloor storage bases. While there, we managed to gently reduce the angle of the throttle cable tube, so I will try that once I have finished the exhaust. Finally I got home by lunch time, and after a quick bite, checked that the seat cover reinforcement fitted, and then drove it back to the upholstery shop so they could finish it off and do the other one.
|Drilling holes through the mounts|
|Finished exhaust mount|
After sorting the mounts out, I re-fitted the muffler, which took a while as it is a very close fit in there, and by the time supper was ready I was only half done - Will complete the job tomorrow. But as I say, good to do this job now in the comfort (or at least dry) floor of my garage, so I know how it all goes back together.
|Regreasing wheel bearings|
Another messy job this week was regreasing all the spare wheel bearings that we have run on the car until now, proved that they work ok and will be carrying as spares. Once greased, they were all packed in sealed bags for storage, and they can now be put straight on the car if required. Whilst covered in grease, I took the opportunity to full up the small grease gun we are carrying.
|Preparing the underfloor bases|
|Adding silicone to the seals|
|Resetting bonnet pin heights|
|Getting into every nook & cranny|
|Red dust in the road !|
started complaining - The road was as red as most of the roads in the Territory ! And in driving round the block, I was reminded just how bad drum brakes can be when they are wet - Great care needed until they dry out !
Over a hot weekend, I then turned to the First Aid Kit that we are required to carry, and the contents of which are subject to a scrutineering check once we get to China. We had a CAMS
|Sorting out the First Aid Kit|
|Bulky, but quite light|
|Cutting off bits of map we don't need !|
|Tyre Dog pressure sensor|
had refitted these a couple of weeks ago and found that the numbers on the screen were wildly different from those from a good pressure gauge, so we had returned the unit to the supplier in Melbourne for re-calibration. They arrived back this week, not only recalibrated but also with 2 totally new sensors, so there really had been a problem ! On refiting them, all was good, with all pressures within 0.5 psi of the tyre gauge, and the temperatures similar on each tyre while sitting the the garage. Another example of "thank goodness we checked that early" - Because like a few other things, if we had waited till the last minute, we would have had a protential problem.
The rest of the weekend has been spent cleaning up the reams of paperwork that is crossing my desk, not only all the information required by ERA, shipping companies, insurance companies etc, but also all our own information and documentation - Technical information on instruments, "how to.." items, registration and other documents we need to carry, and lots more. One item I have spent some time
|Fuel translation sheet !!|
Rest of the pics for this week are here :- https://photos.app.goo.gl/1wqfCQdiXpFQ1mey9