Fixing fenders in the heat !
119 days to go !
But Gidget leaves Australia in 52 days !!
Before I start to discuss Gidget, I draw your attention to the fact that today, 4th February, is World Cancer Day, and I quote from the Cancer Council web site in that regard :-
"Each year on 4 February, World Cancer Day empowers all of us across the world to show support, raise our collective voice, take personal action and press our governments to do more. World Cancer Day is the only day on the global health calendar where we can all unite and rally under the one banner of cancer in a positive and inspiring way."
As most of you know, Ashton and I are using our trip to raise funds for both Beyond Blue, and for Cancer Research. So I take this opportunity to remind you all that we are desperately trying to ensure that our journey from Peking to Paris is not just a trip for Ashton and I, but something that benefits many people around the world. It has a very real purpose. So I draw your attention to the direct links at the bottom of the blog front page where we encourage you to support these worthy charities, however small - Even $1 will help someone, somewhere, who is suffering. And since today is World Cancer Day, I make it easy for you to get to the Cancer Council site here :- Cancer Council
Thank you from both of us.
Gidget is almost completed - But there are still so many small things to do ! The list just seems to keep getting longer ! To put it into perspective, we COULD ship her to China now, and probably survive. But on a long trip like Peking to Paris, even the smallest annoyances can quickly become major frustrations, especially if it something that has to be carried out several times a day. Making a long distance trip bearable is something I know a little about (unlike my mechanical or engineering skills !) and whether it is how or where something is stored, or how long it takes to open the boot to refuel, or how easy it is to erect the roof when it rains or pitch the tent at night. And while these kind of things may seem relatively minor now, they can become really annoying if they are difficult to do repeatedly. And when you are driving long distances every day, on often poor (or worse) roads, and in the meantime trying to read maps and follow co-ordinates and waypoints, you really don't want silly little things annoying you every day ! So this week has been spent trying to refine many of these smaller items, and make sure they can be done effortlessly despite the restriction placed on us due to the severe lask of space in Gidget.
|New section over the old|
|Old section cut out|
|Letting the wire into the edge|
|And rolling it|
In the current heat wave in Australia, driving Gidget is something that can be quite wearing, and lots of sun tan cream is required ! And despite "warm" temperatures in Andrew's new workshop, having lost a day over the long weekend, we started work at 10 am on the Tuesday, cutting out the required pieces of metal for the two guards, then using Andrew's "wheel" to work the edge of the metal so we could roll the TIG
|RH wing all bogged and sanded|
Once home, it was back to bogging ! I thought I was finished with this dusty and time consuming job, yet here I was at it again. And sanding down the bog creates a LOT of dust, especially when doing it in a 2 car garage where the shelves all around are stacked with household items as well as car items. Not a lot of fun trying to contain all the dust, but eventually got quite an acceptible finish and got it all etch primed. One wing done.
|Letting in the LH section|
Next morning I finished rubbing down the primer so it was ready for top coat, and then headed back
to Andrew's in the heat. Literally just as I arrived, he ran out of gas for his TIG welder, and with the recent Australia Day long weekend just completed, the supplier couldn't deliver for a couple of days ! So Andrew headed off to get a new bottle, while I headed home to get on with other things - We would finish the job off the next day.
At home I spent the day working on the roof packing, and how best to get the long roof locating pins to not only fold, but to do so easily and quickly. So instead of the bolts and nylocs doing the fastening, I bought some similarly sized cotter pins and R clips, and
|Hood pin mechanism all folded back|
Next morning it was back to Andrew, who now had gas, and we soon had the LH fender welded in position. While there, I used his oxy torch to heat and bend two 14 mm open ended spanners. There is one nut on the carb manifold which is impossible to reach with regular spanners, so these two will enable the nut to be tightened fully. Once the 2nd wing was bogged and painted, I had to take the new seat covers off. My brilliant idea of inserting eyes into the top of the canvas seat cover to hold it in place when we slide down into the car turned out to make a weak point, and after getting in and out of the car multiple times, the canvas ripped around the eye - Damn ! I had spoken with my upholstery guy and he was going to make a reinforcing sleeve that will not only strengthen the cover, but also prevent the seat back being pulled downwards every time you get in the car. Due to the lack of space in the cockpit, you have to slide down into the seat, and this really strains the stitching in any seat. I need to resolve this.
|Cars gathered at CCC|
|Mark making his speech !|
|Tyre in position on boot lid|
|Idea for base plate on boot|
|3 internal strengthening struts|
|Internal paneling installed|
Now waiting on Letters of Introduction for Chinese visas, and trying to organise an Asbestos Inspection so we don't have trouble bringing the car back in after the event ! And lastly this week I need to whip the exhaust off as it appears to have a leak ! Grrrr !!
Rest of the photos are here :- https://photos.app.goo.gl/2MFtWdFoGqy5QomVA