Seats, roll bar, and dust
|"New" seat vs current seat (r)|
|Planning roll bar positioning|
|Measuring roll bar height|
|Seat mount bracket|
|No seat mount bracket|
both height wise for our heads, and also laterally and at the back to make sure both fit in the small space OK. As you know by now, we have had some major issues with the new "Classic" Corbeau seat, primarily because of their poor construction, and also because there is a big panel across the back which pushes right on your shoulder blades, when in reality it should be located just above your shoulder blades. We were offered some slightly damaged MGF Trophy 160 seats for a "very good price", and so the first step was to see if they actually fitted in the car. But before I could do that, I had to remove some big mounting brackets used in the (slightly roomier) MGF. I first checked with Andrew my metal man and he agreed we should remove the brackets but leave the sliders/runners on there for now. If we decide to remove the runners to make them fit better, then it is easily done, but since it would be hard to reverse once we have cut them off, we will wait.
|Seat belt tensioner mechanism|
slightly lower than the Corbeaus, meaning my head was lower
|New seats in place|
|New roof pins|
|New roof socket|
In the meantime I set off to ZZ Trimming which is located close to many of my other suppliers in Helensvale, and armed with the knowledge that the seats are going to fit OK, I asked Steve to do two things. Remove the cloth / leather seat covering (it just unclips) and 1) put a quick patch on the two splits in the seat base, and 2) shave some of the excess foam padding off the back of the seats, in order to give them a little more clearance. I will go back in on Monday and see what his verdict is. But since we will probably fit cheap washable seat covers on the seats, these will cover any visible seat imperfections.
|PVC roll bar mock up in place|
Other jobs I have been looking at is cargo storage, and I have been looking at cargo nets that we could possibly use in the boot to "control" all the stuff in the boot; (We found in Alice that the bumpy roads caused chaos in the boot !) I have found some that are about the right size and once the fuel tanks are removed, all I need to do is find out the best spot to fit some strap mounts to which we can secure the net.
|Flap on the roof of 100/4|
Additionally, we were having trouble getting the front of our convertible roof to seal in the rain - I had got close with some judicious foam additions, but still not perfect, although I had an idea. However this week I studied the roofs of 2 other 100/4's that were at JH Restorations for work, and they have a flap which fits over the front as standard, which ours doesn't ! So now we know hot to solve this issue 😀
So, lots going on at the moment, and hopefully it will all take final shape next week.
Rest of the pics are here :-