The most hectic 10 days of my life !
65 DAYS TILL THE START
But Gidget has already gone !!!!
After getting Gidget back to Queensland, there was not a moment to spare. Wheel arches, spare tyre mounts, oil changes, undertrays to fit, pressure guages to fit, tools and spares to pack - The list was endless. I can honestly say this has been the most stressful and hectic 10 days of my life, bar none !! But, to start at the end, she is now gone, and we got (most of it) done !!
Video as we leave home
|Working on the cover|
|Lower cover in place|
|Sealed and watertight|
|Wrapping oil bottles|
|Ready to pack|
Having got back to Queensland late on Friday 16th, I had the weekend to do some of the work on the car. First item was to check how wet
|Mildew inside packaging|
|Setting the support braces|
|Fitting the base|
|Strengthening the support braces|
|Finished and ready to go|
|A few decals|
|Mounted on acrylic sheet|
Wednesday morning early I was off to CCC to see Steve to get our final oil and filter change done, do a complete spanner check, check all oil levels, grease everything, and fit our replacement oil temp guage which I
|Jump start post fitted behind seat|
|Broken alternator bracket|
|Adding route decals|
|All finished until|
|Astana or Nur-Sultan ?|
|Measuring up UJ's in prop shaft|
measurements of the UJ caps in order to identify them ! Good job we hadn't fitted that front skid plate yet !!! Eventually we got the measurements John needed and the day before I took Gidget to the port, the spares arrived and I was able to fit them in the underfloor storage box !
|Preparing the guards for painting|
|All one colour at last|
|Sharpening tent pegs|
Our tents came with pretty flimsy pegs, and Ashton had wisely suggested I purchase some stronger ones. Unfortunately these came with flat ends, which are always a PITA to get into hard ground, so I ground points on all 26 pegs, plus 4 spares !! Again, just another time consuming item !! I also managed to change the rather garish lime green covering of the internal armrest to a black one that Ashton had found in his garage and instructed me to fit !!
|Spare wheel packed !|
|Boot filling up|
|Foam on front skid plate|
foam between it and the sump), grind off the rear axle U bolt tails, and install a flap over the diff hole. This last was a difficult one - There is a hole in the rear skid plate to enable the diff to drop though when it is on full droop - Under normal running the diff is above the skid plate,
|Diff hole cover|
|Austin Healey decals|
|Bigger rear view mirror|
|Oil temp guage works at last|
|Lower radiator grill|
|Using the spinner spanner|
|All packed and ready to go|
By Tuesday eveing, I think I was done. Checking all the benches didn't show up anything major that I had left out. I just couldn't believe it was all done. It was time for a beer and some supper !
|Setting off from home|
|In the warehouse at the port|
Now it is time for paperwork, visas, injections, insurances, and trying to think of all the items we have forgotten ! My list is already growing ! Stay with us on this blog, because we will continue through the event until we reach Paris. Of course we will also be on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/austin.healey.73113 or search for "Gidget Austin Healey" in facebook. Additionally, we expect to shortly have the details of a link to our SPOT tracker, which will enable anyone to log on and see where we are during the rally. Apparently a "ping" is sent every 30 seconds or so from the unit mounted in the rear window of Gidget, so anyone can see our location. If the "dot" is moving, we are OK, and if it is stationary, then we are either asleep or working on the car ! But a great way for everyone to stay in touch with us.
Thanks for putting up with my rambling during the last 2 years of the rebuild - Stay with us now for the main event !!
Rest of the pics are here :- https://photos.app.goo.gl/Thjw4kXgtmTk5xub8