We look for holes and do 1001 seemingly small things.
|Fuel tank removed|
|And the source of the dust found !|
|A lot of rain in Qld recently|
|Dust in the rear under tray|
|Boot all cleaned up|
With the tank removed, I could now put the vacuum cleaner to
|Cleaning up the tank|
|Frayed tow straps|
I found that both the extended grease nipples fitted to each of the rear spring hangers were loose. They were easily tightened, but obviously we will need to keep our eyes on these in future. I also realised that once the rear skid plate is fitted, you can't actually reach these grease nipples - We will need to cut a small hole in the skid plate to enable us to fit the grease gun hose through and on to the nipples. Without the hole, there is no way we can grease the rear spring hangers short of removing the rear skid plate every time.
|Gaps in chassis extension|
We had black tape on the top of the shiny alloy steering wheel boss because we found that on a sunny day there is a major reflection onto the windscreen. Tape was looking a bit sad after all the dust, so I stripped it off and used a matt plasti-dip paint to paint the top half of the boss. This paint can be easily peeled off if required. Looks much smarter.
|Sunset over my garage|
The driver's seat was already out, but was now able to get the pax seat out, and get that side of the car
|11.5 kg of dust !|
While I was working on the revised rear mud flaps, and the rear wheel was off, I found that the bolts holding the new roll bar onto the wheel arches were protruding too far into the wheel arch, and based on scuff marks on the arches, under severe compression the tyres will foul these bolts, and having sharp edges, this could have catastrophic results. I therefore bought some dome headed holts, and put then in from the outside, meaning there is now very little protrusion into the wheel arch, and even if the tyre does contact them, it will be a smooth rounded surface.
|Front mud flap as before|
|Revised fron mud flap|
|New roll bar fouls aux tank|
|Bar is going to have to be repositioned|
|Local magpie pinches my seat|
Last weekend there was an Open Day up at JH Restoration, and Gidget was supposed to be on display showing the new roll bar that has been made. Unfortunately, due to the delays to fitting the new seat, and also the delay to getting the rear dust holes welded
|Water proofing doors|
|New grill mounting brackets|
|Original fuel pump location|
side inner wheel arch, in the boot. They are mounted on a plate that, if required, can be quickly removed just with two bolts, but as with so many things on Gidget, later (unexpected) changes and additions have shown up issues. In this case, once the rear lights were fitted, and now the rear roll bar stay, the pump brackets are almost impossible to reach, while additionally we found that due to the dust coming in, the pumps were too low down, and were
|Revised fuel pump location|
|Fuel pumps removed|
Additionally, all the wiring to the pumps, and their earth wires, were all made to suit the original location of the pumps, so by moving the pumps up, I had to lengthen and relocate all the wiring. And of course all the fuel pipes from the fuel tank, around the pumps and then on to the engine, also needed to be changed, because several of them were either too long or too short. So once again, a simple job took a lot longer than expected.
The reason #2 pump has been removed is that on 3 or 4 occasions it has cut out when in use. With 2 pumps it was no drama to quickly switch to #1 pump, but we can't be setting off to China and Mongolia with a big question mark over the reliability of the back up pump ! So we have arranged with the UK supplier, AH Spares, to replace the pump with a new one, and I will be taking the faulty pump to the UK when I travel there in 2 weeks for the P2P navigational briefing. I will then hand carry it back and mount it. In the meantime, I can't run the engine because with one fuel pump removed, I have disconnected fuel hoses, and need some blanks to seal the hoses - They have been order and should be here shortly !
|New driver's seat installed|
|New master switch location|
|Working on the exhaust cover|
The new "rally" brackets then arrived in the mail, and I set to work
|New rally mud flap brackets|
|Finished front flaps with black brackets|
More pics are here : https://photos.app.goo.gl/so1Q7YR9GvkKYGwr9