Some things just aren't much fun !
|Moving everything back home|
|New itg air filter arrives|
passenger seat packed full ! And parts were still arriving from suppliers - in this instance the new itg foam air filter which fits perfectly into the limted space available. We ordered it with an un-cut backing plate so we could ensure it fitted our set up perfectly. Eventually fitted everything in somehow, and started to get on with the work.
|Starting on the louvred bonnet|
|Inside of the bonnet|
The louvres meant it was also pretty fiddly and time consuming to work
|Holes in support struts|
is almost impossible to reach, and short of undoing all the welds and deconstucting the bonnet completely, there is no way of completely getting it clean in there. So I just did my best and kept picking out bits of paint whenever I could. Eventually got it all stripped, and using a powerful water hose managed to get a lot of the rubbish out from under the struts - All good !
operation of scraping and cleaning, and eventually got that all cleaned up. The boot lid has suffered quite a lot of accident damage in the past, and there are numerous scars and dents and patches in it which will need to be re-repaired before final
|Old damage to boot|
Then I had to mark out the front RH wing as it hadn't quite got completed before I brought the car home, so I had to mark out where the jack slot and the ventilation vent were to go, then return it to Andrew for completion. I also marked out the air filter backing plate so Andrew could cut it out on the drill press in the CCC workshop.
|Daryl put to work|
|Inside of the bonnet|
|Preparing to paint the boot|
After painting the inside of the front wing with POR15 for longer
|POR15 inside rear wing|
|Silver cooling vents|
The next morning, first item was the pax door. This is largely new becuase it was the one that was cut down to accomodate the side exhaust. But it was becoming very rusty and the easiest way to deal with it was to remove it - Trouble was, one of the screws was incredibly tight all the way, and I was worried it might be crossed or stripping, so it was an hour before I could get the door off - Eventually all done.
|Door eventually removed|
|Green paint on door jamb|
|Bog on the front guard|
|Bog around the headlight surround|
|Winno put to work|
Winno arrived about 9 am, looking for a cup of coffee ! Just as he was settling down in the kitchen to drink his coffee, I told him to bring it to the garage so we could get to work ! That pax door was looking in need of TLC so I set Winno up with a pair of rubber gloves and the paint stripper, and left him to it, while I continued with the bog and sanding.
|New pulley (L) compared to original|
|Windscreen stored under the bed|
|Bogging, sanding, & painting|
|Alloy sill covers adapted to fit|
|Measuring & cutting the new carpet|
|New jack in use|
|Heatshielding for inside footwell|
|Heat shield in place|
around the curved bits, it all came together really well and looks great, making the interior a much more pleasant place to sit for 36 days, while also being a lot lighter than all the previous material. While doing the passenger footwell I also fitted some additional foam heat shield by gluing together some offcuts, and fitted the finished piece down in the footwell before covering it with carpet.
|Fire ext on switch box|
|Checking that I can reach ext.|
which we are required to carry two) not only to see if they would fit on the top, but also to check if we could reach them when fully harnessed in our seats - Answer yes. So will purchase a couple this week and mount them to the box before refitting it, hopefully for the last time ! I am getting tired of putting things on only to have to take them off again later !
|Weld repair before bog|
|Weld repair with bog|
major weld repairs that had been done on the alloy front shroud. Most of the shroud is in pretty good condition, but just these 2 or 3 places need a bit of work. I will be taking the shroud off shortly (too dusty to sand it while on the car) so decided to put the bog in now to save time later.
And for this week, that was it. Lots achieved, mostly small stuff, but all needing to be done. I will get Steve to come over one day next week so we can hopefully fit the engine up and get it started. I will be buying the oils this week, and filling everything up in readiness. Hopefully a couple more weeks should see us mobile..............
Rest of the pics are here :- https://photos.app.goo.gl/IR0GPzNH00ReTkoO2