So much progress is made......
And Gidget finally leaves CCC !
|Lotus 3 Eleven at the mountain|
|In the cockpit|
|Ashton inspecting progress|
|Giles working on the heat shield|
|Large cracks in the alloy seams|
|Ashton grinding paint off|
|Grinding pint off front shroud|
were waiting on a new wider water pump pulley to replace our original narrow unit, but when it was delivered, it turned out to be too wide ! We thought there were only two sizes of pulley (Narrow and Wide) but it seems that there are 3, and we got the wrong one ! This is a real pain because we cannot finish fitting the fan belt and then the radiator until we have this pulley installed, so it is preventing us from finishing the engine.
|Fork oil for dampers|
want Redline as this is what is in there already, but we have a few acceptable alternatives we want to be aware of in case we need some more supplies on route. Also checked out high pressure and waterproof greases, as well as gasket material, while I was in there.
Then it was on to air filter oils. Originally we were planning to run a Healey 100M airbox over the carbs, and have a large air vent pipe supply cold air from the front of the car, with a large oiled cone air filter on the end. However once we fitted the carburettors last week, we found that the airbox is fouled by an upright stanchion that supports the front valence, and without major modifications, it just wasn't going to all work. So we have changed our plans on this and now intend to run an ITG oiled foam airfilter over the carbs, while still providing a feed of cool fresh air via the flexible pipe from the front of the car. We are currently working on the optimum size to suit our application.
|Fuel pumps and filter connected|
individual switches up on the dashboard, but we needed some electrical power to check everything out, so I moved on to batteries. The space for the battery, directly in front of the rear axle, is very limited, primarily because the car originally came with 2 separate 6 volt batteries and a positive earth. Later the car was converted to 12 v with a negative earth, but the battery that was in the car previously was way too large dimensions wise, and it was surprising that it even stayed in place. We needed one that was less than 22 cms long, and preferably as light as possible,
|New battery vs Old|
|Heatshield around carbs|
below the carbs, fuel vaporisation is potentially a major issue on the Healeys unless the carbs are well shielded. I checked on the 6 cyl Healey also being restored in CCC, and their (standard) heat shield goes right down the side of the exhaust. With our exhaust being a side exit unit now, we have a slightly different requirement, but still need a lot of shielding in there if we are to avoid problems. I also took the opportunity to fit some extra heat shield on the side of the passenger footwell which looked quite exposed to the exhaust pipes.
|Switch box located under dash|
|Patch on back of worst crack in front shroud|
|Corner bracket being formed|
Wednesday dawned, and today was the day we have scheduled to take Gidget out of Classic Car Clinic and back to my house so we can start preparing the bodywork for painting, and finishing off the 1001 other small things that still need doing. The last 3 days have been really hot in Queensland as we experience a major heat wave, and working in an open warehouse without even a fan to circulate the air is not easy. Nevertheless Andrew and Steve worked non-stop to try to get everything completed before the truck came to collect Gidget at 4 pm. This was mainly the second two wheel arches which had to be enlarged and
|Trying to get everything finished|
|Diff & Fuel tank breathers|
have decided to prepare the car with all panels attached, and then remove them for painting before final assembly. As the day progressed, we realised that the last front wing was just not going to be finished before the truck arrived, so we concentrated on a
|Thickness of bog on front fender|
|Front before fenders cut away|
|Front after fenders cut away|
was loaded onto the truck missing just one front wing - While the bonnet and boot were carried inside my car since there was no way of attaching them to the car safely. The front with the cutaway guards looks great - I include a photo of before they were cut just to show the difference.
|Ready to leave CCC|
|Being delivered to my house|
Now if the weather would just cool down a little so we can work in comfort.........!!
Rest of the pics are here :- https://photos.app.goo.gl/BImLHnOMxAUsTrYr2