We continue to add stuff back onto Gidget - Is she getting too heavy ?
✋ Before I start on the blog itself, an unashamed plea for your help ! On this blog you can leave Comments, or you can even become a Follower. While it is great to see how many people are
|The original sump and its "step"|
|Inside the original sump|
|Looking in to the sump|
While the guys were cleaning up the workshop, i have been getting on with other jobs. Fitting up the door trim on the reduced passenger door, replacing many of the rusting screws and fittings in the doors, and working on both the heat protection panels around the exhaust and engine bay, and also shaping the thin rubber that I am fitting to the inner guards to protect them from stone damage - And also to keep things a bit quieter !!
|Another worn out sire wheel|
|Pax footwell heat shield taking shape|
|Firewall heat shield|
|1/2" spacers for heat shield|
|Rubber sheet for inside wheel arches|
|Wiring loom laid in behind dash|
|Wiring laid into engine bay|
|The original crankshaft|
While we were cleaning out the workshop, we came to the original engine parts - Pistons, conrods, camshaft and of course the big and heavy crankshaft. Since Ashton has decided he would like to make a lampstand out of it, I will be storing it somewhere safe ! If you remember, the bearings had been taken out to 60 thou over when the factory max is only 40 thou, so it is totally useless for anything apart from a boat anchor - or a lamp stand. Clearing out these parts started to make more space for Steve to work in.
|New rear engine seal machined in to place|
|Stripping paint off the sump|
|Dip stick in the oil sump|
We then tried to fit the new oil delivery pipe - A flexible braided pipe that runs through the sump and
|Ill fitting engine oil line|
|Unequal length inlet & exhaust valves|
|Incorrect spring lbs|
mm less than that of the inlet valves ! Unbelievable. After considerable conversations with AH Spares in the UK, they are due to find out if this is a manufacturing mistake, and if so, they will replace them, although of course with will not happen until probably mid-January due to Christmas and N Year breaks.
|New oil pipe vs original part|
|Max & Min lines on dip stick|
|Engine paint colour|
|First rear spring in place|
|Steve working the axle|
Once the axle was in position, we used a jack below the springs to raise them up unti they got close enough to the axle that we could fit the U bolts and spring plates that connect the springs to the axle. The first side was relatively easy, but the other side was slightly harder because the axle
|Rear axle in place|
In summary for 2017, it has been an extraordinary story and journey for both Ashton and myself. From a quiet start when he asked me to join him on this 2019 Peking to Paris Adventure, it has been a hectic 9 months that I don't think either of us expected. So much more work was needed on the car than anticipated, but it
|Where we started from in April|
Unfortunately our target to have the car running by the end of 2017 will not be met, but I truly believe we are getting close. The fuel system and fuel tanks are virtually completed, the front and rear suspension is now on and close to complete, and the engine is within a week or two of being finished. I have reset the target to be driving the car to mid-February, and that will leave us 5 months to get any minor issues sorted prior to heading to Alice Springs in Auhust for the COTT ERCA event.
What an amazing year ! A big thank you from me to Ashton for giving me the opportunity to play a small part in his wonderful Adventure ! 2018 is going to be amazing, and this time next year, we will be starting to get ready to ship the car to China for the start of the Peking to Paris !
A very Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone who is following us !
Rest of the photos are here :- https://photos.app.goo.gl/lACknr6iFYChMXlT2