Dampers, diffs, and seats !
|Driver's B pillar|
|Inside panel on B Pillar|
However it should be remembered that Classic Car Clinic have many other jobs, so unfortunately they cannot spend all their time on our car every day ! Nevertheless, it is good to see the door shutting properly now, and the sill in place. It is almost time to move over to the passenger side, which should move along a lot more quickly not only because they can copy the driver's side measurements, but also because it has not been accident damaged like the driver's side. In the meantime I had other things to keep me busy !
|Damper as it was on car|
|Cleaned up rear damper|
lever arm type that were very common in the 1950's and 60's - Even a lot of MGBs and Triumphs run these items. When on the car, they looked in pretty sad shape - quite a lot of dirt and corrosion, plus I was surprised to find that the 2 bolts holding each unit in place were not very tight - I wonder how long they would have stayed attached ? Having removed them I cleaned them up carefully, and once externally clean, I then removed the tops by undoing the 6 screws, which I then carefully drilled to enable us to wirelock them in place when they have been refurbished. I also drilled the filler plug and Both dampers had fluid in there, although one was absolutely full to the brim, which I do not believe is correct. I also noticed that the oil in there seemed to be suspending quite a lot of black dirt - They obviously need to be well cleaned out. I will get the front ones off this week and get them up to WW Dampers in Brisbane who service these older units, and we can then use these as spares.
|Damaged end of the axle tube|
|Axle ready to send to Sydney|
|Our 4.1 diff|
The clean diff was virtually ready to be re-installed. Because we were uncertain of the diff ratio on this axle, I set to to count the teeth on the crown wheel - Not an easy task when they are curved, oily, and partially covered by the pinion wheel !! I finally determined that there were 41 teeth, and since there were 10 on the pinion (equally difficult to count accurately !), that gives us a diff ratio of 4.1. We shall use this later to work out our engine speeds etc.
|Short video clip of new alloy fuel tank|
The new alloy fuel tank arrived this week, so I took this over to CCC so they could work on the chassis extensions in the boot to make sure they are in the correct place and not fouling the fuel tank. The original steel fuel tank weighed 12.1 kg, while the new alloy one weighs just 5.65 kg, so quite a big weight saving there. And it looks good in the boot - Alth0ugh of course it will be all covered up in the end ! Tempting to leave at least a part of it visible !!
Click here to see video link above :- https://goo.gl/photos/bsTbn8bPDzPn6jfm9
|Our split ball joint boots|
|Brand new ball joint on other Healey|
joints. The rubber boots or gaiters that protect the ball joints from dirt and water are mostly perished and split, especially on the two side arms - The central arm looks as though the ball joints have been renewed more recently. Unfortunately these side arms have the ball joints already permanently fitted, so we have to order two complete new arms - And will keep the old arms as spares. There is another Healey being totally rebuilt to concours by CCC and it is interesting to be able to see how everthng fits together. In this instance, the totally new suspension arms show up the poor condition of ours !!
|Short video of new jack|
Our jacking point has been installed by Andrew, and here is a brief video of how the jack will work on our car. I am really pleased with how this has worked out, and the jack is smaller and lighter than the scissor jack that was carried previously, as well as being easier to use. Need to weigh each to find out the savings !
Click here to see above video link :- https://goo.gl/photos/fzRpYhkR9caca9Q56
|Tiny hole drilled in a nut|
|Locking wire in place|
|Bump stop painted and ready to install|
I was also painting the two new rear bump stop boxes which come in bare steel, so need some kind of protection on them before the humidity and rust get to them. So after rubbing them down and priming them, they got a coat of black top coat, and are now ready for installation - As soon as the car is ready !!
|A big Corbeau box arrived !|
|A new seat|
|Old vs New !|
|Short video - See below link to view|
Click here to see above video :- https://goo.gl/photos/epFPxdtbx7Ubd4KH6
The remainder of the photos are here :- https://goo.gl/photos/3QdDYCsyd9XTztPB7